Thursday, April 20, 2006

Canvassing for the Tories. Shall I? Shall I?

The local elections are almost upon us. I am minded to go canvassing with my local Conservative Party Association, but I have one reservation. If asked by voters about the party's policies, I am loath to parrot out the tired party line about 'policy reviews' etc. Some voters may quite reasonably interpret this as vagueness, or even worse, insincerity. It is also disingenuous to tell voters that the local election should be restricted to local issues. Some of them may want to have some more detail about Conservative Party policy in general. Knowing myself, I would be sorely tempted to make up policies on the doorstep, you know, something to fill the gaping hole. (Who, after all, wants to look like an empty-handed door-to-door charlatan? There is only so much one can say about the environment.) I might 'invent' such right of centre policies as lower taxation, selective education, that sort of thing. Somehow, I don't think that will go down well at Central Office.

Probably best for everyone that I keep indoors.
You are viewing a post on Bel's old site. Click here to find this post on the new site.

|

3 Comments:

Blogger Bel said...

Thanks for the compliment, Ed.

I agree, the Government seem to be doing our campaigning for us. They've even produced a cuddly little chameleon mascot for us to play with. Bless.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Biodun said...

Lazy Girl!
I highly recommend canvassing. You might be pleasantly suprised.

No one will ask you about government policy. They think they know it already.

Most people just want to get back to their TV-watching as soon as possible. So they'll answer any questions hastily and grudgingly.

Most questions are invariably local. -No one's moved the skip on the street corner, the community support officer here is useless, bla bla bla. That kinda thing.

Complaints will be universal.
Take advantage of that.
Remind them that Labour's in government and if it's a Tory council, tell them that Tory Council hands are tied in a Labour Government.

Remind them of the good old days.

You might even get lucky!
There was one man who said I was so pretty, he would vote Conservative just because I came to his door. Granted he was about 90, but he still had his eyesight!

Could be a sign of good things to come ;-) I'm not optimistic canvassing in my constituency though. It's full of dregs and oiks.
Oh for the chance to canvass in Kensington and Chelsea!

**sigh**

2:46 PM  
Blogger Bel said...

Thanks, Biodun. I'm rather looking forward to it now.

I especially like this bit:

Remind them that Labour's in government and if it's a Tory council, tell them that Tory Council hands are tied in a Labour Government.

And I might even get lucky!

Better start practising my best doorstep smile!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home